Friday, July 25, 2008

Day 2, July 24

Waterton was shrouded in cloud that morning. Soon it started to rain. I followed Smith on a sodden bike ride up to the Warden's office to obtain a key to the "Research House." I was cold and wet already, and began to fear that my career as a field assistant would be short-lived. But, with much jubilation, the clouds began to recede and the rain subsided. I was even able to hang up my socks to dry them for a few short moments, between when Smith was barking orders.

Next objective: Move the instruments of analysis into the basement of the Research House. As I was carrying boxes down the stairs of this odd domicile, I noticed an official looking advisory on the wall stating "Radon gas has been detected in the basement of this building. Ensure proper ventilation." Smith assured me that Radon gas is odorless, and would only be found insignificant amounts, but I was sure that I smelled the strange odor of burnt canola oil, and stale bones. I also observed that at least one researcher in one of the research teams based in the Research House seemed to be engaged in a hair-ball study, as there were numerous specimens scattered around the radon ridden basement. But this location, it seemed to me, would serve perfectly well for Smith to mix the chemistry, and develop the images.

After setting up the developing and analysis station in the basement, we were off into the field. We loaded tripods, various image capturing devices, and all manor of instruments into packs, and hoped on our two-wheeled steeds. I am quite sure that Smith's pack was at least twice as heavy as mine.

Once on the "Prince Of Whales Hotel Hill," behind the historic "Prince of Whale Hotel," perched on the, uh, aforementioned hill, we elbowed our way to the front of the other image takers, and began to compare the vista to the historic Riggall image. I was struck by how much the historic image took in. The naked eye must scan and track in order to apprehend what the picture records.

We eye-balled and eye-balled, matching up ridgeline intersections, and trying to identify rock features in the foreground. It was hard for me to imagine Bert Riggall standing there with one other person, before the hotel was built, with the constant stream of tourists from around the world rushing to the edge of the hill and snapping off shots.

Back to the Research House to develop the film, then Smith treated me to half a calzone at the local Pizzaria, then a brisk hike up the "Bear's Hump," and back down in the dark to the campground to bed.

No comments: